Kraken CEO, Jesse Powell has done it again. Powell recently revealed to Bloomberg that the crypto exchange platform is now also working towards launching a Non-Fungible Token (NFT) marketplace that can allow consumers to make functional uses of their tokenised collection, including utilising NFTs as collateral to borrow funds against. Powell noted that the upcoming NFT marketplace aims to support custody services, along with adding the exclusive feature of collateralizing NFTs for loans.
Kraken exchange CEO, Jesse Powell told Bloomberg in an interview that, “If you deposit a CryptoPunk on Kraken, we want to be able to reflect the value of that in your account. And if you want to borrow funds against that” the company’s exclusive NFT marketplace will enable that service as well.
He explained NFTs’ evolution overtime, starting off with speculations, moving on to trade and exchange as a medium of an additional revenue stream, and now at last – extracting functional uses of NFTs to finally bring them to mainstream economy.
However, Powell also highlighted the fact that NFTs are in fact as old as the OG Bitcoin, when back in the day developers suggested “tagging” parts of the Bitcoin blockchain with metadata. Nevertheless, he noted that similar to Bitcoin, NFTs also took their sweet time to finally expand and become common knowledge.
“I guess it took the right combination of events, something really popular like NBA Top Shots that really got people talking about it…Phase one was speculation, phase two is buying art and supporting artists, phase three is going to be functional uses of NFTs”, he added.
Kraken CEO on Shiba Inu listing
Powell holds bold opinions about the industry and he communicated some of them in the interview. While discussing prospects for NFTs, Powell also emphasised the forcible listing of the trending meme token, Shiba Inu ($SHIB). He claimed that back in November, Kraken decided to list SHIB in lieu of sheer customer interest.
“There’s not incredibly interesting new technology there or anything, it’s just largely community-driven interest. It’s basically a meme-coin that has the community’s attention and sometimes you have to just list those.”
- Breaking: Thai central bank announces a delay in CBDC pilot
- Breaking: Kraken to facilitate NFTs as collateral for loans
- Dogecoin (DOGE) foundation is working with Vitalik to create “community staking”
- Borrow Funds Against Your NFTs? Yes, Crypto Exchange Kraken Will Make This Possible
- Elon Musk Reveals Why He Supports Dogecoin Instead Of Ethereum Even As Values Slide
- El Salvador President asserts Bitcoin (BTC) mass adoption as “game over for FIAT”
- Bitcoin (BTC) Above $51,000 Despite the U.S. SEC Rejecting Two Bitcoin Spot ETFs
- Why 2022 could prove to be the year of regulations for crypto market
- Indian parliament winter session ends without a crypto bill
- Breaking: Elon Musk agrees Bitcoin ($BTC) is for the rich and asserts Dogecoin’s ($DOGE) diversity
- Convex Finance Price Analysis: Token Shoots Past Other Leading DeFi Projects
- Price Analysis: Fantom And Cosmos Extremely Bullish With Prices Parked Above The 200-SMA
- Curve DAO Price Analysis: Rounding Bottom Pattern Will Lead CRV Token To $6.4
- Cosmos Price Analysis: ATOM Coin Bulls Breach Confluence Of Major Technical Levels
- Price Analysis: Cardano and Enjin Gain Double-digits, Check Next Resistance Level
- Helium And Fantom Gain Upto 13% – Crucial Price Levels On Target Next!
- SHIB Price Analysis: New Year Rings Recovery Bell For Shiba Inu
- Price Analysis: Ethereum, Polkadot And Filecoin Appreciate Minorly
- MATIC Price Analysis: Polygon Bulls Ready To Knockout All-Time High Resistance of $2.5
- Terra, XRP And Aave Price Analysis: Coins Log Substantial Gains Over The Week