The Central Bank of Thailand announced there will be a delay in its testing of the retail Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC). According to a report in Reuters, the central bank will now start the retail CBDC pilot towards the end of 2022 instead of the second quarter as planned earlier.
Thai Central Bank is looking to build an alternative retail payment infrastructure with its CBDC and begin its trials for cash-based activities soon. The first trials would begin on a small scale involving around ten thousand users. The starting of the test phase would see CBDC use for cash withdrawal and transfers along with small and medium-size retail payments.
Deputy central bank director Kasidit Tansanguan said that the central bank is in no hurry and will take things slowly. He explained,
“Thailand can still take a gradual step in the retail CBDC to ensure efficiency and prudence as it does have a problem with fund transfers or payments as some other countries.”
The retail CBDC development is in no way to compete against the traditional crypto market or stablecoin market, it is being purely developed fr0m a native financial point of view. CBDCs are expected to bring down miscellaneous costs to a great extent.
China is leading the retail CBDC development
China is currently at the forefront of CBDC development and use. The country that has banned all cryptocurrencies more than a dozen times has been developing its stablecoin since 2014 and it is currently being tested at a mass scale involving millions of people and thousands of retail chains. The CBDC development was completed in 2019 itself but it is yet to be released officially.
Thailand along with nearly a hundred other nations are currently actively working on developing their own CBDC. The likes of France, Switzerland, and several others have started pilot projects while the likes of South Korea and Russia plans to begin trials by 2022.
- Breaking: Thai central bank announces a delay in CBDC pilot
- Breaking: Kraken to facilitate NFTs as collateral for loans
- Dogecoin (DOGE) foundation is working with Vitalik to create “community staking”
- Borrow Funds Against Your NFTs? Yes, Crypto Exchange Kraken Will Make This Possible
- Elon Musk Reveals Why He Supports Dogecoin Instead Of Ethereum Even As Values Slide
- El Salvador President asserts Bitcoin (BTC) mass adoption as “game over for FIAT”
- Bitcoin (BTC) Above $51,000 Despite the U.S. SEC Rejecting Two Bitcoin Spot ETFs
- Why 2022 could prove to be the year of regulations for crypto market
- Indian parliament winter session ends without a crypto bill
- Breaking: Elon Musk agrees Bitcoin ($BTC) is for the rich and asserts Dogecoin’s ($DOGE) diversity
- Convex Finance Price Analysis: Token Shoots Past Other Leading DeFi Projects
- Price Analysis: Fantom And Cosmos Extremely Bullish With Prices Parked Above The 200-SMA
- Curve DAO Price Analysis: Rounding Bottom Pattern Will Lead CRV Token To $6.4
- Cosmos Price Analysis: ATOM Coin Bulls Breach Confluence Of Major Technical Levels
- Price Analysis: Cardano and Enjin Gain Double-digits, Check Next Resistance Level
- Helium And Fantom Gain Upto 13% – Crucial Price Levels On Target Next!
- SHIB Price Analysis: New Year Rings Recovery Bell For Shiba Inu
- Price Analysis: Ethereum, Polkadot And Filecoin Appreciate Minorly
- MATIC Price Analysis: Polygon Bulls Ready To Knockout All-Time High Resistance of $2.5
- Terra, XRP And Aave Price Analysis: Coins Log Substantial Gains Over The Week