2021 has definitely been the year of mainstream crypto adoption as institutions finally realized that it is not a fad and going to become the alternate financial market. However, with the surge in interest and adoption, the number of security breaches and hacks also reached new highs. According to the latest report from Slowmist, crypto hackers managed to get their hands on a whopping $9.8 billion dollars stolen in various breaches and ransomware attacks.
The Slowmist yearly report also highlighted that the majority of the crypto hacks came from one particualr industry i.e decentralized finance (defi). Nearly 73% of all stolen money from the crypto hacks came from various defi protocols amounting to nearly $7 billion.
The yearly report noted a total of 231 incidents of hacks and security breaches in the crypto ecosystem, and out of these total 231 incidents, 171 were reported from various defi protocols. While the Defi ecosystem has grown to become one of the most prominent use cases of the crypto ecosystem, it is also one of the most exploited ones. There hasn’t been a single week over the past year when there wasn’t a security breach of any kind.
Can the crypto ecosystem improve security against hacks?
The Defi sector has definitely been the biggest security concern due to the anonymity factor, however, it is also important to note that, some of the biggest heists in crypto was ultimately returned due to the decentralized nature of the blockchain where it became near impossible for the hacker to launder money out of the systems. The prime example of this is the biggest Defi hack in the form of PolyNetwork where the hackers managed to get their hands on assets worth more than $600 million.
The protocol alerted all exchanges and stablecoin issuers about the hacking address which resulted in the blocking of any transactions from that account and later all the stablecoins were also frozen. As a result, the hacker was left with no other option but to return the money and get a white hack bounty instead.
- Breaking: Crypto hacks led to $9.8 billion in losses in 2021
- Breaking: Alibaba vice chairman says he “likes crypto”
- Strip Finance’s NFT Multi-Sender Tool Wins 2021 BUIDL IT Hackathon
- Bitcoin (BTC) slides below $50k again as crypto market turns red
- Is Bitcoin (BTV) Going To Hit $100k? Ambitious But Not Utopia
- Bitcoin transaction in EL Salvador sees an 89% decline since the country adopted Bitcoin as legal tender
- Bitcoin breaks $51k resistance, here’s why its key to the next bull run
- This NFT’s trading volume shot up by 221 percent in just 24 hours
- Just-in: Binance starts crypto financing services in Canada
- Breaking: Binance gets in-principle approval to become crypto-asset service provider in Bahrain
- Price Analysis: Uniswap, Monero, And Helium Soar Again After A Period Of Rocky Trading
- Convex Finance Price Analysis: CVX Token Escapes The Consolidation Phase
- Polkadot Price Analysis: V-Shaped Recovery in DOT Coin Threatens Another Resistance Level
- Solana, Polkadot and VeChain Remain Bullish; Near Term Technicals Suggest Uptrend
- Chainlink Price Analysis: LINK Token Challenges The $23.5 Resistance For Bullish Breakout
- KDA Price Analysis: Rounding Bottom Pattern Could Initiate New Rally In Kadena
- MATIC’s Fresh All-Time High and Fantom’s Bullish Price Action: Next Vital Price Levels
- Tezos Price Analysis: Emerging XTZ Coin Rally Eyes $5.8 Mark
- Cosmos Price Analysis: Buying Opportunity Before 2022 Bull Run In ATOM Coin
- Floki Inu Price Analysis: Token Preparing Its Next Move Inside A Descending Triangle Pattern