India’s chief security regulator the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) warned mutual funds against investing in crypto assets until clear regulations come out.
In a press conference, the chairman of the SEBI group Ajay Tyagi addressed the issue and said it won’t be an ideal situation for mutual funds to invest public money in crypto without the government’s regulatory framework. Mutual funds are one of the most popular forms of investment for the majority of the Indian household thus if domestic mutual funds seek NFO (new fund offer) approval from the regulator, they must avoid crypto investments.
Crypto investments are not illegal in India, despite no regulations put in place yet, people and firms can invest and trade crypto assets. However, SEBI belive with no clarity on tax brackets and no clear indication from the government, it’s best to avoid for companies to offer crypto-themed investment options.
Invesco Mutual Fund became the first asset management company in India to get SEBI’s approval to offer a blockchain fund called Invesco CoinShares Global Blockchain ETF Fund of Fund (FoF). The fund offered exposure to global crypto and blockchain companies, however, its launch was delayed even after the approval due to regulatory uncertainty.
Indian central bank adamant on a ban
The much-anticipated cryptocurrency bill failed to make it to the Indian parliament’s winter session despite it being listed as one of the agendas before the start of the session. This was the second incident in 2021 where the cryptocurrency bill didn’t find a place for discussion. However, the Indian finance minister Nirmala Sitharman had said that the government won’t take a blanket approach.
Despite assurance from the Indian finance minister and many insiders hinting at a positive regulatory approach, the Indian Central Bank, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) remains adamant on a blanket ban. However, according to insiders, the regulators have made it clear that it’s “too late” for a complete ban.
- Breaking: Indian security regulator warns mutual funds against investing in crypto
- NFT Marketplace UNXD and Decentraland to Host Virtual Metaverse Fashion Week
- ProShares Files With the SEC for a Metaverse ETF Amid Growing Craze
- Key Factors that Propelled Ether’s 4X Growth over Bitcoin’s in 2021
- Gold Proponent Peter Schiff Claims Bitcoin is Losing its First-mover Advantage
- Shib’s massive decline cost big whale nearly half of his holdings
- Breaking: Crypto hacks led to $9.8 billion in losses in 2021
- Breaking: Alibaba vice chairman says he “likes crypto”
- Strip Finance’s NFT Multi-Sender Tool Wins 2021 BUIDL IT Hackathon
- Bitcoin (BTC) slides below $50k again as crypto market turns red
- Dusk Network Price Analysis: DUSK Price Hints Another Pullback Opportunity For Crypto Investors
- Price Analysis: IOTA Jumps 7% While Filecoin Struggles To Trade Above $40
- SushiSwap Price Analysis: Rising Channel Pattern Leads Recovery Rally In SUSHI
- Cardano Price Analysis: ADA Price Rally Reclaiming Crucial Resistance Of $1.5
- ICON Price Analysis: ICX Coin 20% Green Despite A Red Flag In Crypto Market
- Price Analysis: Aave Flashed A Death Cross While Pancakeswap Remained Consolidated
- Binance Coin In The Green While Ethereum Falls On Its Chart: Crucial Price Levels
- Price Analysis: Uniswap, Monero, And Helium Soar Again After A Period Of Rocky Trading
- Convex Finance Price Analysis: CVX Token Escapes The Consolidation Phase
- Polkadot Price Analysis: V-Shaped Recovery in DOT Coin Threatens Another Resistance Level