The South Korean government has continued its efforts to secure the position as the leading crypto regulator across the globe. This time around, the authorities have targeted the NFT phenomenon of P2E games. The nation’s Game Management Committee (GMC) under the Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism recently approached mobile app store giants, Apple and Google to block any games that possess a prerequisite of making in-app purchases prior to playing the game.
According to local news, South Korea’s regulators has levied P2E games as malicious schemes aimed to extract more money out of people. Therefore, with the latest order from the GMC, it will now become impossible for P2E games to get listed on major app stores. While the authorities have not used the word ‘ban’ for P2E games, their actions determined the intent.
P2E games vs GMC
This was not the first time that the South Korean authorities launched a crackdown on P2E games. The GMC was already in an ongoing battle with P2E game organisations over the ‘age-ratings’ fiasco. While the GMC required for these NFT games to seek age-ratings from the committee itself, but the P2E game companies were consecutively launching new games in the domestic market using the self-rating system.
“It is reasonable to keep P2E games from getting age ratings under the current law because cash rewards in games can be considered prizes.”, said a government official on the matter of blocking P2E games, referring to the Supreme Court’s decision.
The self-rating system was derived through in-house grading service provider, i.e., by using an in-house service provider for the release allowed the game companies to rate itself. However, the Game Commission prohibited distribution of P2E games across the nation, referring to the provisions of the Game Industry Promotion Act ‘ban on prizes’ and used its own rating service provider to block the games. This has led to further friction between the authorities and the P2E industry, where the gaming companies continue to take GMC to the court.
- South Korea: Authorities approach Apple and Google to block all P2E games
- Breaking: Indian security regulator warns mutual funds against investing in crypto
- NFT Marketplace UNXD and Decentraland to Host Virtual Metaverse Fashion Week
- ProShares Files With the SEC for a Metaverse ETF Amid Growing Craze
- Key Factors that Propelled Ether’s 4X Growth over Bitcoin’s in 2021
- Gold Proponent Peter Schiff Claims Bitcoin is Losing its First-mover Advantage
- Shib’s massive decline cost big whale nearly half of his holdings
- Breaking: Crypto hacks led to $9.8 billion in losses in 2021
- Breaking: Alibaba vice chairman says he “likes crypto”
- Strip Finance’s NFT Multi-Sender Tool Wins 2021 BUIDL IT Hackathon
- Dusk Network Price Analysis: DUSK Price Hints Another Pullback Opportunity For Crypto Investors
- Price Analysis: IOTA Jumps 7% While Filecoin Struggles To Trade Above $40
- SushiSwap Price Analysis: Rising Channel Pattern Leads Recovery Rally In SUSHI
- Cardano Price Analysis: ADA Price Rally Reclaiming Crucial Resistance Of $1.5
- ICON Price Analysis: ICX Coin 20% Green Despite A Red Flag In Crypto Market
- Price Analysis: Aave Flashed A Death Cross While Pancakeswap Remained Consolidated
- Binance Coin In The Green While Ethereum Falls On Its Chart: Crucial Price Levels
- Price Analysis: Uniswap, Monero, And Helium Soar Again After A Period Of Rocky Trading
- Convex Finance Price Analysis: CVX Token Escapes The Consolidation Phase
- Polkadot Price Analysis: V-Shaped Recovery in DOT Coin Threatens Another Resistance Level